Complete in Thee each want supplied,
And no good thing to me denied;
Since Thou my portion, Lord, wilt be,
I ask no more, complete in Thee.

(3rd verse of "Complete In Thee", by Aaron Roberts Wolfe & James Martin Gray)

Thursday, August 11, 2011

the power of prayer

i know i shouldn't be, but once again, i've been surprised at how prayer will open doors.  not just my going to God, but with the company of others.  i have been praying about it myself for sometime, yet after sharing my burden with a few friends i feel the Lord answering, blessing me in this trial.  how wonderful to know that our Father hears us!

at our church in Henderson NV, we often sang a hymn with the chorus... "we should ask, and seek, keep knocking at the door at Jesus feet.  we have not our needs because we do not lean on Jesus."  a good reminder to continually lift up our requests.  to go to God over and over and over. 

i feel like that song is a reflection of Matt 7:7-8
"Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.  For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened."

and look at Luke 18:1-8

1 Now He was telling them a parable to show that at all times they ought to pray and not to lose heart, 2 saying, “In a certain city there was a judge who did not fear God and did not respect man. 3 There was a widow in that city, and she kept coming to him, saying, ‘Give me legal protection from my opponent.’ 4 For a while he was unwilling; but afterward he said to himself, ‘Even though I do not fear God nor respect man, 5 yet because this widow bothers me, I will give her legal protection, otherwise by continually coming she will wear me out.’” 6 And the Lord said, “Hear what the unrighteous judge *said; 7 now, will not God bring about justice for His elect who cry to Him day and night, and will He delay long over them? 8 I tell you that He will bring about justice for them quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will He find faith on the earth?”

to have others praying for you is such a blessing!  yes, i think there is a time and a place to share prayer requests and also it is wise to take into account your company when you share these petitions.  but oh, how great the result can be when another is lifting you up to the Lord! 

and i want to be that blessing to my dear brothers and sisters in the Lord.  i want them to feel the Lord answering their requests because i took the time to lift them up and petition the Father.  for me to go knocking on their account and both of us to be blessed by drawing near to our Savior.

Psalm 145:18
"The Lord is near to all who call upon Him, To all who call upon Him in truth."

No comments:

Post a Comment