Complete in Thee each want supplied,
And no good thing to me denied;
Since Thou my portion, Lord, wilt be,
I ask no more, complete in Thee.

(3rd verse of "Complete In Thee", by Aaron Roberts Wolfe & James Martin Gray)

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

a book...

so i love a good book! preferably something fictional with great characters and a resolved ending.

i'm not usually into the books that claim they will help me get more done or get/stay more organized. where are they when clothes need to be folded or closets need to be sorted? i'm not really sure, but they definitely aren't here where i need them!

that being said, i've finished the book, "Peanut Butter on my Pillow" by rita w. kramer and found it refreshing and motivating, to the point i would like to share a little about it. not because of her grand ideas, but because she simply took every idea before the Lord. every concept she presented was compared before scripture to make sure it was in line. every suggestion she made seemed to be prayed about before putting it out there for me to try. so much scripture packed into a book has be to a good thing!

it's an older book i picked up off a used book sale at church (a big thank you to whoever donated it!). she puts many verses from the Bible, a few poems and quotes and her own confessions though out.

if you decide to give it a look, be sure to pray first that God will use this book in your life for His glory and your good.

i wanted to share a few things that hit me...

my inspiration for getting up a little earlier to pray

I didn't have time to pray

I got up early one morning
and rushed right into my day;
I had so much to accomplish
I didn't have time to pray.
Troubles just tumbled about me
and heavier came each task.
Why doesn't God help me, I wondered.
He answered, "You didn't ask."
I tried to come into God's presence,
I used all my keys at the lock.
God gently and lovingly chided,
"Why, child, you didn't knock."
I wanted to see joy and beauty,
But the day toiled on grey and bleak.
I wondered by God didn't show me.
He said, "You didn't seek."
I woke up early this morning
and paused before entering my day.
I had so much to accomplish
The I had to take time to pray.

-Author unknown

a comforting thought about the state of my home

(i'm paraphrasing here) the whole idea of "cleanliness is next to godliness" is not in the Bible. in fact it was the idea of Phinehas ben Yair who thought that religion is a bunch of acts (he includes carefulness, vigorousness, abstemiousness [which is a big word for sparing or abstaining]) in and of themselves that become godliness. now i'm not about to take this guys advice!

John Wesley is the one who actually spoke this "treasured creed" in a sermon on dress. and John got it from Francis Bacon who actually said "cleanness of body was ever deemed to proceed from a due reverence to God," the whole idea was that keeping your body clean is out of respect for your Lord God who made it!

rita also quotes the Living Bible in Proverbs 14:4 (i'm not usually a big fan of the Living Bible, but i kind of like this one) "An empty stable stays clean - but there is no income from an empty stable."

life is messy. between kids, husbands, cooking & eating, playing & learning, there is going to be some messes. praise the Lord, He looks at my heart and my stewardship in all areas of my life, not just how much dust is on the piano.


little notes about her house that made me smile

This is NOT Treasure Island.
Please find a more appropriate place for your valuables.

Relax. God loves you.

This, too... (by rita) hit me off guard

Diaper changing became so routine and automatic that i couldn't remember doing the last one.
And the Lord said, "this, too, shall pass."
Brothers, surrounded by a yard full of toys, fought over a battered tennis ball.
And the Lord said, "this, too, shall pass."
Sleepless nights during flu season were followed by long, headachey days.
And the Lord said, "this, too, shall pass."
Little hands reached into the cookie jar for "just one more?"
And the Lord said, "this, too, shall pass."
We didn't go to "buck night" at the drive-in movie because of insufficient funds.
And the Lord said, "this, too, shall pass."
I stiffened in the passenger seat while my student driver first-born practiced her left turns.
And the Lord said, "this, too, shall pass."
We sat elbow-to-elbow around the supper table, everyone talking at once.
And the Lord said, "this, too, shall pass."
The afternoon schoolbus dispersed a half-dozen chattering Kramers, and from the first one thought the door i heard, :i got a hundred in spelling today, Mom!"
And the Lord said, "this, too, shall pass."
My husband and I came home to a quiet house after an evening out and peeked in on our offspring sleeping peacefully in their beds.
And the Lord said, "this, too, shall pass."


a verse that reminded me to pray more

I love the Lord, for He heard my voice;
He heard my cry for mercy.
Because He turned His ear to me,
I will call on Him as long as I live.
-Psalm 116:1,2

No comments:

Post a Comment