Complete in Thee each want supplied,
And no good thing to me denied;
Since Thou my portion, Lord, wilt be,
I ask no more, complete in Thee.

(3rd verse of "Complete In Thee", by Aaron Roberts Wolfe & James Martin Gray)

Friday, June 25, 2010

preparing

First , scroll down and read the first post. Now you understand the point of this blog.

Question for you…

Do you ever get stressed out when you are trying to get out the door to Church or Bible study? I do! Why is it that whenever I’m going to hear the word of God I’m frustrated out of my mind because I can’t find anything and the boys are being slow and I don’t have enough time to take care of everything before we need to be there, let alone be leaving?! And so I arrive at church in a huff with a slightly bent out of shape attitude, when the whole point of being there is to honor the Lord and indulge in the Word He has given us. But so many times my attitude is far from honoring.

So I challenge you to prepare! Prepare your heart to worship by going to God in prayer. And prepare yourself (and family!) to avoid the stress that so often comes crashing down on us.

1 Peter 1:13
“Therefore, prepare your minds for action, keep sober in spirit, fix your hope completely on the grace to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.”

Apply this verse specifically to Sunday morning and see what you get!

Q?? “prepare you minds for action” Think about it! What can you do ahead of time so time so that you will be able to have a right attitude on Sunday morning? Maybe, lay out everyone’s clothes the night before, or have breakfast ready in the fridge, or gather all the Bibles by the front door next to the purses & wallets & cell phones?
Proverbs 31:25 “Strength and dignity are her clothing, And she smiles at the future.” Remember, the future includes tomorrow morning.

Q?? “keep sober in spirit” Obviously, sober meaning serious, contrasting the sloppy unfocused drunk. Do you keep your cool when things don’t go exactly according to plan before worship? Are you making focused effort to maintain the right attitude when going to fellowship with other believers?
Psalm 57:7 (one of my favorites!) “My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast;” Am I grounding my emotions on the Rock, or am I letting them get the best of me?

Q?? “fix your hope completely” Remember the things that we know about God now. Examples: He is Love, He is in control of all, He is gracious, He is worthy of all our praise. Remember that one day we will know so much more about Him! Are the cares of getting ready and getting out the door consuming your mind and attention on Sundays (or whatever day)? Is your hope fixed on getting out the door on time? Where should you be fixed?
1 Chronicles 16:10 “Glory in His holy name; Let the heart of those who seek the Lord be glad.” Are you seeking God gladly on your way to worship?

I challenge you to prepare for when you go to meet with like minded believers. Prepare your heart, and prepare yourself, and prepare your stuff. I think if you are honest about what needs to change, you will find that God blesses your preparations and gives you grace for the moments when it still doesn’t go according to plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment