Complete in Thee each want supplied,
And no good thing to me denied;
Since Thou my portion, Lord, wilt be,
I ask no more, complete in Thee.

(3rd verse of "Complete In Thee", by Aaron Roberts Wolfe & James Martin Gray)

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

confessions of a floundering mama...

let me offer these words of comfort for any other mommies who feel like their house is eating them alive, like they are failing at training up their children, and have nothing left to give their husbands at the end of the day...


... i only managed to get 7 pictures this christmas. i am in none of them (which i am ok with being in pictures, it just didn't happen). the lighting stinks, the angles are funny, and there are none remotely nice enough to even post on facebook.

Christmas is a time to remember the birth of my Savior.


... this is what my kitchen table has looked like for the past 6 days. my husband smiles and deals with it graciously, but will be appalled when he finds that i have posted this for the world to see. but other mommies need to know, we all have these times. and it's ok.

Jesus has still covered me with His blood and washed me white as snow.


... i got claustrophobic today when Christian was climbing on my lap. i had to set him down and find my own seat. he gave me a look like he thought i was crazy. i probably am.


Blessed be our Lord who holds us close and never let's go.

... Isaac is watching his new curious george movie for the 2nd time today. he didn't take an afternoon nap so this evening will be ruff.


Praise the Lord for He is Good! ... and p.t.L. for dvd's.

the point is not that i'm making a list of excuses for bad behavior. on the contrary. i try to work hard within my home for the glory of God, for the honor of my husband, and for the good of my sons. but sometimes things can become a bit very overwhelming. and whether my home is spotless or not, God is still God!


my family can function in a messy house for a couple weeks if the need is there. they cannot deal with a mama who is have a mental breakdown. it just doesn't work.


so here are a couple suggestions to try and help save mamma's sanity...


... do something with your kids that will make you all laugh. sit down and watch a kids movie, or have a game of tag around the piles of laundry.
Proverbs 17:22 "A joyful heart is good medicine, But a broken spirit dries up the bones."

... throw half of the toys in a box, seal it & throw it in a storage place for a while. if your kids are little, they won't even notice and less stuff means less to clean up later. (plus, when you get it out again it will be new and exciting toys for free!)

... mix 1/4 white sugar with a tablespoon or 2 of lemon juice and a tiny bit of water by shaking it all up in a little container. use it right away as an amazing body scrub that is super refreshing and CHEAP! (note: you will not be sticky as all the sugar rinses clean in the shower. trust me, this is a favorite of mine.)

... sing something!  children love to sing and mine love to dance.  they don't care what you sing or how it sounds.  plus, i heard that singing releases endorphins (those are the happy hormones in your body).


... before bed, read some chapters from the Song of Solomon, pray, brush your hair, and put on some pretty pj's. i don't want to embarrass anyone, but, a husband who is satisfied is more understanding and patient with all the stuff around the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment