Complete in Thee each want supplied,
And no good thing to me denied;
Since Thou my portion, Lord, wilt be,
I ask no more, complete in Thee.

(3rd verse of "Complete In Thee", by Aaron Roberts Wolfe & James Martin Gray)

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

the wanter!

it's the end of july and the change of season is right around the corner. i look forward to the cool crisp air and changing colors of the landscape, the hot soups and warm rolls and the freedom to bake in the middle of the day without heating up the house.

however, i'm also slightly anxious about this coming change due to the fact that i have some real holes in my wardrobe that i'm going to have to fill because many of my clothes either do not fit me or are wearing out because i've had them so long or i simply do not own because i've lived in the desert for the past 2 years. so a real overhaul is needed!

however, as i start to put the pennies aside and pa ruse the online web sites for some new duds & kicks, i'm having a problem with my "wanter".

now normally, when my wanter acts up, it's for things like antique furniture, or some pretty jewelry, or a huge bouquet of flowers. things that are nice, but i really don't need them. and so i tell myself with great confidence, "no, i'm sorry, but no."

but today i'm really struggling to get my wanter in check as these are things that i really do need. i really need a couple pair of quality shoes that will last and look nice for more than just one winter. i do need a few jeans and pants that are long enough for me. and yes, i need some nice shirts and sweaters that are realistic for Nebraska weather. but, i also need to get this stupid thing under control!

yes, that's what it is. my wanter is nothing more than my flesh rearing it's ugly head once again. it is me having a battle with lusts of the eyes, fighting with greed and desiring things that in and of themselves are no sin, but i'm turning them into it with the priority i'm putting on them.

1 Corinthians 10:23
"All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify."

and back up a bit...
1 Corinthians 6:12b
"all things are lawful for me, but i will not be mastered by anything."

My blessed Lord will fulfill all the needs in my life. He has said so! look at the example that Jesus Christ points out within God's nature...

Matthew 6:28-30
"And why are you worried about clothing? Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin,
yet i say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these.
But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith!"
See? right there! my God will clothe me. i know that. and yet i sit and lust over nearly everything on Anthropologie.com, in perticular pair of t-strap mary janes that are, lets just say... $.

am i telling God that i'm ok with Him fulfilling my needs, but only with the items in my virtual shopping cart? putting a requirement on how God fills a need in my life is selfish and sinful!

Romans 12:1-2
"Therefore, I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect."

maybe for you it's not clothes or shoes. maybe it's food. maybe it's entertainment. maybe it's cars, or your house, or any other millions of things. whatever your wanter is after, you need to be mindful that it can quickly become more harmful than you give it credit.

So here it is, my list of overly blunt questions for today.

*are you putting a requirement on how God fulfills your needs?*

*is there something innocent that, due to the desire and priority you put on it, is no longer harmless but has become a root of sin in your life?*

*are you spending to much money (or time) on something and justifying it because it is a need?*

*are you developing a bad attitude about the blessings God has given you because they aren't as "nice" or as "fashionable" as what the world tells you is needed?*

*are you avoiding these things that cause you to lust?! (ex: not going to the expensive stores and websites in the first place!)*

small side note: for those of you like me with expensive taste in clothes who need a little help finding cheap look alikes, check out a blog i found http://uberchicforcheap.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment